Sunday, April 17, 2016

#Scriptchat Transcript: Screenwriting Conference & Pitchfest Tips April 17, 2016

Tonight we talked about the value of screenwriting conferences and pitchfests including networking tips and more! @zacsanford moderated. Enjoy!

Read the transcript on the Storify site or below.


#Scriptchat Transcript: Screenwriting Conference & Pitchfest Tips April 17, 2016

#Scriptchat Transcript: Screenwriting Conference & Pitchfest Tips April 17, 2016

Tonight we talked about the value of screenwriting conferences and pitchfests including networking tips and more! @zacsanford moderated. Enjoy!

  1. hello y'all. Before we jump in, how is everyone doing on their writing goals? #scriptchat
  2. @zacsanford2 Wrote two pages of TV spec script today. Lot more to go, but so far so good. #scriptchat
  3. Myself, I'm behind on my writing goals for the year, but the day job has been crazy, and very rewarding so far. Can't complain. #scriptchat
  4. So where does everyone want to start? Pitching? Pitchfests? Networking? #scriptchat
  5. Networking, and how hard it can be when you're penniless and in the middle of nowhere. #scriptchat
  6. Sadly, our previously scheduled guests @PitchfestBob @Screenwriter12 could not be here as they're at a premiere. #scriptchat
  7. 2 many writers go to pitchfests thinking they’ll sell a script. U shld go to learn art of pitching, take classes & meet writers #scriptchat
  8. @Al_1701 Networking is tough when you're outside of LA. While tech has made some things easier, still a biz of face-to-face. #scriptchat
  9. @zacsanford2 I'm not really in a position to go to L.A. just to try to pitch. #scriptchat
  10. But if you can find writing groups within your area, that's always place to start. Even if most are novel writers. #scriptchat
  11. You never know who will go on to be something and who won't. But relationships are what Hollywood is built upon. #scriptchat
  12. What is the best way to make connections when you are out of state? I am in Portland, Oregon. #scriptchat
  13. I'm always more open to reading a query letter from someone I've personally met than a blind query that is sent to me. #scriptchat
  14. @ZotBakingCo While Portland doesn't have a huge film scene, it has a small one. Make connections there. #scriptchat
  15. @zacsanford2 The fringes of the Detroit metro area, like between everywhere that is anywhere. #scriptchat
  16. But I get it, not everyone can afford to make a trip to LA. #scriptchat
  17. Most execs and other writers on twitter are open to discussions. Just don't be pushy or rude. #scriptchat
  18. I've had people whom I've communicated with for years on here, and then I've asked what they're workign on & might read. #scriptchat
  19. But if I don't know you, and you say "can you read my script?", the answer will almost certainly be a no. #scriptchat
  20. @zacsanford2 what are you looking for in a query that comes to your office as opposed to a pitching event? #scriptchat
  21. I like to talk craft...hoping quality raises above the fray. #scriptchat
  22. But if we communicate and chat about other things, I'm always more open to hearing a pitch online. #scriptchat
  23. @ZotBakingCo It'll vary city to city, but Facebook has a lot of film/writing groups. I try to keep up with happenings that way. #scriptchat
  24. @zacsanford2 Getting to know people (and them getting to know you) is a lot harder onine. #scriptchat
  25. An example... @chasffischer and I talked for a while. He's in Australia... But I eventually asked what he was writing. Read it. #scriptchat
  26. @ZotBakingCo twitter can be a great way to connect. Once you establish relationship here, bring it to FB, which is more personal #scriptchat
  27. @Al_1701 Exactly. Online isn't the same as in person. It's part of the reason I don't really dig online pitchfests. #scriptchat
  28. @Al_1701 What sucks is how the film biz has all but abandoned MI after they cut their incentive. Would have been great for you. #scriptchat
  29. A lot of film people are creatives, therefore they're more introverted. My first time I grabbed drinks with someone I was afraid #scriptchat
  30. @jeannevb I will check it out. You have great information on your site. Thank you. #scriptchat
  31. I used to hate getting up in front of the class or talking to random people. Now I can talk with anyone about almost anything. #scriptchat
  32. FYI, I met @zacsanford at a pitchfest 8 years ago & we've been friends ever since. We stayed in touch. STAY in touch after! #scriptchat
  33. We had 17 Nextdoor neighbors interested in a writer's group and no one showed. LA, too. #scriptchat
  34. @Al_1701 @NaimaHazelton Breaking the ice is almost like flirting. You might get rejected, but it's a numbers game in the end. #scriptchat
  35. @NaimaHazelton I hosted a meetup once and only two people showed. 30+ RSVP'd. LA is a town of flakes :) #scriptchat
  36. When you want to make a connection, don't make it just about you, but how you can benefit one another #scriptchat
  37. I was so motivated that I wrote an outline out of frustration...use it! #scriptchat
  38. I'm a development exec. I need to find new writers and material. Therefore I like when writers chat me up. #scriptchat
  39. @NaimaHazelton I've got plenty of that, especially now. The population of my house more than tripled including pets. #scriptchat
  40. @jeannevb That's what I love about the other side of my company.. it's in Texas. 30 miles on the freeway takes less than 30 mins #scriptchat
  41. Sarah asked how to keep the connection with an exec. Which is always a tough balancing act. #scriptchat
  42. If you're outside of LA, an email every couple months checking in is okay. #scriptchat
  43. If the company had released something or been in the trades, shoot an email of congrats. #scriptchat
  44. Finding reasons to follow up is always best, that way it isn't just a "how you doing" email, as those seem a little fishy. #scriptchat
  45. There's a great book called "Never Eat Alone" that has a whole section devoted to the follow up. #scriptchat
  46. But once you've made the connection, if they have a public FB or Twitter, follow or send a request. #scriptchat
  47. What about the fear to talk to people in the business. That feeling you aren't worthy. #scriptchat
  48. Making a connection not directly related to screenwriting is a good way to keep in touch with execs. #scriptchat
  49. Twitter is more open for most. FB tends to be a little more exclusive and private for a lot of folks in the industry. #scriptchat
  50. I'm a huge fan of "Never Eat Alone." Whenever I'm in LA, I literally meet ppl for brkfst, lunch, coffee, dinner, drinks. #scriptchat
  51. 100% RT @screenwrtnaked: Making a connection not directly related to screenwriting is a good way to keep in touch with execs #scriptchat
  52. From an exec's pt of view, what is good to ask? Making it about them follow-up question... #scriptchat
  53. @Al_1701 don't start with pitching them. Start a conversation. Eventually they will ask you about your writing. #scriptchat
  54. Yes, rejection may happen, but without puting yourself out there, who will actually read and discover your talents? #scriptchat
  55. Before we segue into pitchfests, let me state I HATE when someone sits down and starts their pitch ASAP. Build rapport. #scriptchat
  56. When you're pitching at pitchfest, research the companies 1st, then you can find common ground & interests to make it organic #scriptchat
  57. Even small talk with these people is scary. Why would they care about my love of the weather and hoping the Red Wings win? #scriptchat
  58. @Al_1701 I'm the guy who would get sick talking in front of a class. I've now been on panels in front of hundreds. I love it. #scriptchat
  59. @Al_1701 You'd be amazed about the Red Wings. Or sports in general. Only a small percentage are actually from LA. #scriptchat
  60. I cut my pitching teeth at pitchfests. Now when I have meetings in offices, I don't sweat it. Speed pitching is great practice #scriptchat
  61. @screenwrtnaked If we've never chatted before on social media and you pitch me, the block button is used. #scriptchat
  62. More intimate conferences are great too. I love @WIFV_DC’s #ScriptDC. Inspiring group of writers/filmmakers. Like a family. #scriptchat
  63. @Al_1701 I made a great connection over horse racing. You'd be amazed at how they are just people like us. #scriptchat
  64. @screenwrtnaked If we've chatted several times, you can swing the bat and ask "what are you looking for?" #scriptchat
  65. A lot of pro writers travel to conferences around the country. Find one near you (Austin, NY, DC, Chicago, Nashville, Toronto) #scriptchat
  66. Honestly, if you're talking to me on Twitter, you're more than likely a writer... So I know we share that as an interest. #scriptchat
  67. I'll mention I love Mr. Robot, and let's discuss that. Mention that you'd love to write something that amazing some day. #scriptchat
  68. Just PLEASE do NOT talk down about yourself as a writer or artist. You need to be confident. We need you lie you need us. #scriptchat
  69. @screenwrtnaked Connections are important because if I like your writing, I want to know I'll be able to work with you. #scriptchat
  70. Re: networking, @theblcklst has meetups all over, as does @Stage32 - GO! Talk w/ people. You never know who you'll meet #scriptchat
  71. You could be the greatest writer in the world, but if you are a chore to be around, the career could quickly dissipate. #scriptchat
  72. We used to have meetups more often too. If you want to start one in your area, ping us & we'll help promote it. #scriptchat
  73. I like your writing, but the script needs work and I can't stand working with you, we buy it and hire someone else to rewrite. #scriptchat
  74. She never sent it :( RT @screenwrtnaked: @SarahAlexis4 remember the lady who pitched to us who had no fear? She was awesome! #scriptchat
  75. @NaimaHazelton Well, if the ProdCo buys your script, they buy your copyright and could do whatever they want with it. #scriptchat
  76. Jeff Nicholls had final cut on Midnight Special. After a test screening, WB gave him notes & he realized some made it better. #scriptchat
  77. The thing is, no one sets out to make a bad movie. Everyone wants to make the script better, but sometimes too many cooks. #scriptchat
  78. @zacsanford2 @SarahAlexis4 I remember you saying that. What a disappointment. I'd have loved to have read it. #scriptchat
  79. @NaimaHazelton If you're developing it with a director, you haven't sold the copyright, so your call. #scriptchat
  80. But I would still have a collab contract if a director comes on after you wrote the first draft. Mainly for chain of title. #scriptchat
  81. We have a great meetup here in Toronto @INKDRINKS at the Frinkin on King. Writers & sketchy friends #scriptchat
  82. Film overall is a collaborative medium, but ultimately it comes down to the money people typically have the final say. #scriptchat
  83. It's so important to follow after a pitchfest. If requested & you don't have it polished and ready...wasted time/money. #scriptchat
  84. Thanks @jeannevb for bringing up @thblcklst monthly mixers. They have them all over this nation. #scriptchat
  85. We're already halfway through, so we can switch from networking over to pitchfests and pitching in general. #scriptchat
  86. @ZotBakingCo haha hardly. I've just been through it all and tried every angle. #scriptchat
  87. @Al_1701 The "art of the pitch." Be short, concise, and leave me wanting just a little more to ask you questions. #scriptchat
  88. If you're at one of the pitchfest events, you have 5 minutes. Let's break that up into a couple different sections. #scriptchat
  89. When you first sit down, a lot of times you're worried about the clock, so you want to dive right into the pitch. #slowyourroll #scriptchat
  90. Stay a couple of extra days AFTER a pitchfest/conf so you can have meetings to reestablish old connections or build new #scriptchat
  91. Can I plug a Hollywood meetup? Bourgoise Pig...contact me for deets. #scriptchat
  92. When you first sit down, build that rapport. Let me see your personality. Let me see the real you and not the sales person. #scriptchat
  93. @NaimaHazelton I'm very interested. I used to love going into the darkest room to write when I lived by Franklin Village. #scriptchat
  94. Don't have a pitch that's super polished. Make it conversational not robotic. #scriptchat
  95. Hell, even if you don't know anything about me when you're pitching (which you should), thank me for being there. #scriptchat
  96. Pitchfests aren't just about pitching either. I've met the most awesome people at the #scriptchat cocktail party. @KimBergie and many more.
  97. And I don't say "thank me for being there" to be a dick, but it is the gratitude that goes A LONG way. #scriptchat
  98. @Al_1701 Whelp, I'm talking about the steps of when you're actually pitching at a pitchfest. Generals go a little differently. #scriptchat
  99. Once the rapport has been built and the small talk is out of the way (which should be no more than 90 seconds), then pitch. #scriptchat
  100. Oh, and snacks, bring snacks! Your blood sugar will drop. Sorry, I'm a mom. haha #scriptchat
  101. Look at writer to your left & to your right. 1 of them might be nxt Paul Haggis. Talk, connect, stay in touch AFTER the conf #scriptchat
  102. The key to a pitch is to not go into so much detail. So many people will go too deep and the listener loses interest. #scriptchat
  103. Think of your pitch as a trailer to the movie. Trailers are typically 90-120 seconds, but are used to sell to the audience. #scriptchat
  104. Your pitch should be hte same. Give me the overview of your story. Give me broad strokes. I want to see the story in my head. #scriptchat
  105. The building rapport and the pitch should now put you at 3 to 3:30 minutes. That leaves time for questions. And Qs are good. #scriptchat
  106. .@SarahAlexis4 true! Snacks for while you wait in line... oh and MINTS. Praise the Lord, bring MINTS! haha #scriptchat
  107. 1) I have this thing called the Pitching Pyramid. Start with title and genre. Then give a logline, then give a short synopsis. #scriptchat
  108. 2) Allow for questions and KNOW THE ANSWERS. You must know everything about your screenplay! #scriptchat
  109. if the pitch isn't for the company, it allows you to leave before the flock and get in the next line. Plus a breather for exec. #scriptchat
  110. Even if you aren't ready to pitch, go to the classes. TONS of pro writers talk at conferences, sharing their advice. #scriptchat
  111. @wcmartell I can't tell you how many times writers don't know answers to the most basic questions like "what is the theme?" #scriptchat
  112. Austin Film Fest probably has the most pro writers in attendance. #scriptchat
  113. 3) Then, like a pyramid, spread out - the 3 most amazing scenes - the ones that will be in the trailer that everyone talks about #scriptchat
  114. Yes!! RT @jeannevb: Austin Film Fest probably has the most pro writers in attendance. #scriptchat
  115. And ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS (even if the event tells you not to), bring a one sheet. #scriptchat
  116. 4) If you give a detailed scene by scene pitch you'll put them to sleep. A pitch is mostly about the idea, script gives details. #scriptchat
  117. Something I've been wondering, what's Hollywood's current attitude towards the Monomyth? #scriptchat
  118. CANNOT emphasis the one sheet enough! As @zacsanford says, bring it! How else can the exec remember your specific story? #scriptchat
  119. @RLSoo Rebecca, if that was you at the GAPF, PLEASE email me zac at scriptchat dddddoooottttt com #scriptchat
  120. 1) small talk/appreciation w/ personality 90 secs 2)broad strokes 90-120 secs 3)field ?s 60 secs 4) out ea if 'next'! #scriptchat
  121. 5) I've judged pitch contests, and the judges want to hear an amazing story that makes them want to make the film version. #scriptchat
  122. screenwriting? then you should check out this thread #scriptchat right now, talking about pitching.
  123. The reason one sheets are important. 5 minute pitches = 12/hr. 5 hours = 60 pitches. Try to keep that clear in your head. #scriptchat
  124. 6) Also: best performance of bad idea is still bad idea. Worst performance of good idea is still good idea. #scriptchat
  125. Also too many pitches tell the story. But tell me the story through your character. That way I connect to something. #scriptchat
  126. When you're telling me the story, I get it. When I get the Hero's Journey of it, I'll be given a POV and world view. #scriptchat
  127. 7) Think about concept, big twists in your story, and emotional moments for protag."What happens next?" "How do they survive?" #scriptchat
  128. @SarahAlexis4 If someone asks "how does it end" and you don't answer, it's a pass. #scriptchat
  129. If I ask for hte ending, I'm on the verge of liking your pitch. The ending can make or break your story. Don't say "read it." #scriptchat
  130. There is a pitch guru that seriously tells people "if you pitch and they want to know the ending, they must read it." WTF. #scriptchat
  131. Okay, ten minutes left. Questions that I may have missed on anything we've covered. Or anything else? #scriptchat
  132. Oh, and most pitchfests have TONS of classes. and TONS of networking events. Take advantage of it all. #scriptchat
  133. and the classes are more than just pitching classes. There's classes/panels on all aspects of the industry. #scriptchat
  134. @zacsanford2 If pitching it flirting, that's like saying "I'm not saying if I'm married or single" #scriptchat
  135. I think you don't want to be arrogant or evasive, and "Read it" sounds both. I want them to ask me that means they're involved. #scriptchat
  136. and when you pitch, never say "I just completed my first script." Very few writers will write a masterpiece the first time out. #scriptchat
  137. @NaimaHazelton The nice thing about pitching as flirting... Everyone is in an open relationship... #scriptchat
  138. That is, until they put a ring on it, I mean... they buy it from you. Then it is only that story, but the rest is still open. #scriptchat
  139. @zacsanford2 What words would you use to say you are finished with the first draft? #scriptchat
  140. @SarahAlexis4 Listen to the questions you're asked. Those are things missing in your pitch. #scriptchat
  141. Pitching will often show you the problems with your screenplay - so it helps you rewrite it. #scriptchat
  142. If you found it odd that a question was asked as you thought you covered it, make it clear. #scriptchat
  143. Take notes on feedback bc it could show you where you need to work on script in next rewrite. #scriptchat
  144. @ZotBakingCo Unless you're established, you should only be pitching scripts that are market ready. #scriptchat
  145. The reason being, I might want to read your script now, and if it needs rewriting but you send, you get one shot. #scriptchat
  146. Also, by the time you rewrite it, we might not have that specific hole on our slate anymore... #scriptchat
  147. BUT, after a pitchfest, if someone requests, you can always say "I got some great feedback & I want to polish before sending." #scriptchat
  148. When I pitch execs, I LISTEN then before sending, make quick tweaks to fit their needs. #scriptchat
  149. Master Cat! Ben Frahm Writing TV Series: Ben Frahm has been hired by Sony TV International.  http://bit.ly/23QYeRQ  #scriptchat
  150. If you do go that route, make sure the turn around time is quick. I've received scripts from pitches over a year later. Sorry no #scriptchat
  151. Also, if you're nervous, pitch someone early in the day that you don't care about. Test the waters. #scriptchat
  152. @zacsanford2 "Want to polish before sending" - then hustle buns and get it rewritten & to them ASAP. Before they forget you. #scriptchat
  153. But still try to pitch your most important companies before lunch. After lunch they could be in a carb coma. #scriptchat
  154. Don't do gimmicky shit, like dress in a costume. Oh god, please #psychoalert #scriptchat
  155. Nxt #scriptchat 4/24 guest: screenwriter & author @MyloCarba of @ZoharFmisl - TOPIC: Writing Horror and working as a ghost writer.
  156. The Pitch Mart has it right. The event only goes about an hour after lunch, as everyone is fried by then. #scriptchat
  157. A year! Goodness, not. What's the customary turnaround time to get the script there? #scriptchat
  158. THIS! RT @jeannevb: Don't do gimmicky shit, like dress in a costume. Oh god, please #psychoalert #scriptchat
  159. This has been a great #scriptchat. Thank you everyone for the advice and information. Have a wonderful evening. #scriptchat
  160. But if you need to do some rewriting/polishing, no more than a month. #scriptchat
  161. @zacsanford2 You totally rocked this chat. Now I want to go to GAPF this year if you're gonna be there. #scriptchat
  162. Without getting out there and meeting people, who will read your stuff? #scriptchat
  163. Can you talk about Ensembles? Does everyone hate (or dismiss) them right away? @zacsanford2 #scriptchat
  164. If you can't because of financial reasons (which is understandable), VPF is another great source. #scriptchat
  165. Also, chat them up on Twitter. If you have like interests, start there. Most of us love chatting with people outside LA. #scriptchat
  166. @RLSoo Every company is looking for something different, so there is room for ensembes. #scriptchat
  167. Ensembles are tough for a lot of younger writers as balancing the characters/story can be tough. #scriptchat
  168. This was so helpful! Clear and focused Thanks @Zac and Jeanne and all the other experts! #scriptchat
  169. As always, I'm around for questions on my main account @zacsanford. This one is only for chats. #scriptchat
  170. Oops, tweeted the wrong handle. @MyloCarbia of @ZoharFmisl is our guest next week talking ghost writing & horror! #scriptchat
  171. @zacsanford2 Hey, almost the whole #Scriptchat crew was here tonight. It's been a long time. 😊
  172. Or if you were paying attention, my email is buried in this chat. :) #scriptchat
  173. RT @zacsanford2: If you can't because of financial reasons (which is understandable), VPF is another great source. #scriptchat
  174. @screenwrtnaked @zacsanford2 I was thinking the same thing. Would love to have us all here more often! Much more fun! #scriptchat
  175. Get out there. Network at local events. Grow your connections. aspiring writers of today are the paid writers of tomorrow. #scriptchat
  176. Thanks so much @zacsanford2 for moderating. Make sure you follow Zac's regular acct - @zacsanford #scriptchat
  177. The assistants of today are the ones running the companies in the future. #scriptchat
  178. And now I'm going to return to writing, previously in progress.... #scriptchat
  179. You completed a script. You can do almost anything. Don't let your baby sit on your computer. Let someone read it. #scriptchat
  180. And if you made it through this chat and tweeted/RT'd at least once, query me at my scriptchat email address. #scriptchat
  181. #scriptchat hey guys, just wanted to say thanks so much for some great advice!!
  182. Yes, I'm opening up the company to queries if you were part of this tonight. #scriptchat
  183. @jeannevb @zacsanford2 I agree. I almost missed it. Just finished my writing and a class I'm working on. #scriptchat
  184. There's your open door. Take advantage of it. Please. I love finding new writers with amazing stories to tell. #scriptchat
  185. @jeannevb @zacsanford2 @zacsanford Thanks, as always, for providing such great information. I learn something new each time. #scriptchat
  186. @zacsanford2 FYI - I had a pitch last Friday at 2pm. I asked them to move it to 11am for that very reason. #scriptchat
  187. Grabbing the transcript so don't worry if you missed links. Will post ASAP. Thanks for a great chat, everyone! #scriptchat
  188. If you tweet something with the hashtag within the next minute, you can still query, even if you were lurking. #scriptchat
  189. @NaimaHazelton Yep, a query letter/email is a pitch. Typically what would be on a one-page. #scriptchat
  190. And that's the cut off. Thanks everyone for joining us. Now get writing. And get out there and network. #scriptchat
  191. If I can go from the shy guy in high school to what I am now, you can too. And I still have severe anxiety & panic attacks. #scriptchat

No comments:

Post a Comment